[IP] Re: Going in for tonsil and UPPP surgery

<<Has no one here gone for surgery with just a 23 hour stay? With all these
members, would have thought someone else would have had a 23 hour stay. How
did you handle the pump situation?  >>

Hi Christene,
I did see your original post, but I didn't write initially because the
situation was somewhat different.  My daughter started pumping and within 3
weeks needed major surgery inside her throat.  She was 7 at the time.  I
would not have had the surgery done until she began pumping, as a previous
surgery was an absolute nightmare to handle on injections.

The hospital would not allow her to keep the pump on during surgery, but
instead started IV insulin at the same time as her regular IV with dextrose
and fluids, and later the morphine.  This worked very well for her, as she
was in intensive care for 24 hours and without anything at all by mouth for
56 hours.  The IV insulin worked just like a basal rate on the pump, and I
just had them ratchet up the rate as I watched the bgs.  For her, it was
about 8 hours post surgery that the stress necessitated a higher rate, which
slowly crept up over the next few days.  When she had a drink of apple juice
I re-connected her pump on the third day.

So, in your case, are the doctors happy with you staying connected?  Maybe
try to ensure that your bg is at the higher end of your target range so they
don't get worried about a low.  Then just make sure that your bgs are
checked either by you or a friend or the nurse (if she is capable, and
believe me, not all of them feel confident doing this) and you can do
corrections whenever needed.  In Claire's case, bgs were done every hour in
the operating room.  The anesthetist came back out to get her Ultra meter,
as he was so impressed by it! He saw me checking her bgs just as they were
about to take her in and said that the meter he had to use was of "dinosaur"
vintage.  Then in intensive care, it was up to me to check them.

If they are using dextrose in your IV, it is easy to calculate how many
carbs you are getting in the IV when they set the rate of drip.  You can
program this amount into your basal rate if you wanted to.

Good luck and hope this helps a little bit.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9