[IP] Basal vs Bolus Insulin

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding basal vs bolus insulin. Do you find that it
makes a difference in your control HOW you receive the insulin? My doctors
have always favored (for me) a higher basal rate, so that my boluses are
lower. With a higher basal, I have good blood sugars and good A1C's. So,
you're probably wondering what my problem is if I'm having good luck with
increased basal rates (which by the way, is 70+% of my TDD.)

If I eat on a regular schedule, I have the great results I just mentioned.
When a meal is considerably late, I go low. A couple of weeks ago I had a
colonoscopy, and had to fast the day before. I was low almost all day long,
until it dawned on me that my basals are way too high if I'm not eating. I
should have done a temp basal alot earlier, but most times you don't have
much of a warning and sometimes it's too late to change your basal. I feel
like I'm stuck between having good numbers and no flexibility, or having
higher numbers and flexibility. Flexibility is the reason I went on the pump
in the first place.

I also believe that this extra basal insulin is causing me be overly hungry
and have gained weight (about 20 lbs in the 3.5 years I've been pumping) but
every time I try to lower lower my basals, I see higher numbers.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Sheilagh Salvati
Diabetic 19.5 years

Say goodbye to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.