Re: [IP] unwanted prescription drug emails

   You most likely got hit with what is known as a "predictive" spammer
application.  In the past, spammers had  try and harvest e-mail
addresses from other sources (web pages, nntp postings, e-mail
lists...).  Well, as anti-spam techniques grew more sophisticated, so
have the spammers!  What they do now is populate a database of common
usernames (the part to the left of the "@"), and combine them with the
domain name of their choice, like comcast.net, and then start blasting
messages at the mail server for that domain.  The majority of  the
addresses they try will most likely get rejected with a "user unknown"
error, but every now and then they will get a "hit" , and Bingo!  You've
got Spam!
   In case you didn't know it, SMTP, which is the protocol for internet
mail is completely unencrypted  and transactions take place in plain
english commands and responses . A predictive spammer looks something
like this:

mail.comcast.net ready.
helo spammer.com
mail.comcast.net talking to spammer.com
mail from: email @ redacted
250 OK
rcpt to: email @ redacted
550 User unknown
rcpt to: email @ redacted
550 User unknown
rcpt to: email @ redacted
250 OK             <--------------GOTCHA!  (Spammer records this as a
"good" address fro later use or sale)

See if you can tell what I do for a living (no, I'm NOT a spammer!)