RE: [IP] Pay up

At 9:04 AM -0500 11/21/03, Grimes, Keith wrote:
>. Yes, believe it or not, there are other groups out there where
>members are supporting each other in a caring and respectful environment
>and it doesn't cost you a penny to freely exchange information.

Yes, heresy!   And I for one will be a judge of your soul during the
Inquisition!     ;>p

>. But as far as this MAILING LIST goes, there should be no fee
>to exchange information which is offered to support other members of the
>diabetic community.

Granted that there are a lot of other lists out there which provide
the means to exchange information without monetary cost, BUT they
have their ways of making money.  Maybe it is so subliminal that you
don't even realize it.   What do you get from IP mail?  Nothing but
what other people send and the only "non-member" part of the message
is "for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe/change list"   Not very
subliminal, is it?    ;>)

>Moreover, if you're going to continue to suggest that people should
>indeed pay to play (which is perfectly fine with me) let's make sure we
>all know what we're wanting that money for. It costs nothing but time to
>maintain a mailing list and time is not cheap.

THAT time is volunteer, thank you but you needn't pay me for that.
There are a great deal of other costs that support the movement of
the email, the web site which interacts, and the Non-Profit that does
all it can to support diabetics

>  But I'll say it again,
>people all over the world with a desire to do just that, are doing it.

See above, they are sending email with it's costs, they are not
maintaining a web site with so many tools, links, studies and
updates, all housed within an independent operation so that it owes
NOTHING to any other commercial interest.  There are costs, and then
there are independent costs.

>The website, on the other hand, is a different kind of beast, which
>obviously takes much more time and money to maintain. Charge up the
>wazoo for the use of it, if you want to (grammarians, please excuse that
>last sentence). Or donate as much of your money as you want in an effort
>to keep it running. I don't care what you do with your money and please
>don't feel the need to inform me of your financial situation - it has no
>bearing on this discussion.

I don't really like to think of IP as a "beast".   To me it is an
ever friendly (though some posts would dispute that) puppy, ready to
serve and assist when called upon.  As far as "grammarians", I'll
leave that to the professionals.  But let me comment that people's
different financial position DOES have a bearing on the discussion
and if someone's suggestion of how to help though in that position
would then encourage someone else to contribute, then all the better.
If any post bothers anyone, they do have a delete key.

>One last time just so we're all clear on this - charge money for use of
>the website, or don't. Shit or get off the pot. Michael,

It IS Michael's "pot", but I think the decision IS still up to YOU.
If you want to just crap in it, you are FREE to do so, it won't cost
you a thing except the electrons that run free in your brain and then
travel across the ethernet.  As for me, I think I'll toss in another
buck just for all the good feelings this "beast" gives me; "good boy,
nice puppy!!!"

And for your penance say 5 Our Father's and 15 Hail Mary's

George      :>)