RE: [IP] Type 2 - when insulin?

 --- On Thu 11/20, < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: [mailto: email @ redacted]To: email @ redacted: Thu, 20 Nov
2003 19:23:43 ESTSubject: [IP] Type 2 - when insulin?
 Hi,I was just wondering for those of you with Type 2 how you knew it was time
to go on insulin? I'm worried about a woman who I know who has type 2 and told
me her meter read "hi" one night and her fasting AM blood sugar the next morning
was 350ish. This was all last weekend and as of today she hasn't gottenintouch
with her doctor. She is on oral meds and apparently ran out, but this seems like
some really high blood sugars. I told her today that she REALLY needs to talk to
her doctor, I am seriously worried about her. Any input appreciated!Deirdre
 Deidre, I went on insulin long before mine had a chance to get out of control
according to typical standards. I was only up to a 7.4 A1c. And my fbg were
running around 130-150. But to ME those were high and I was uncomfortable. My
PCP had me on 3 oral meds and had just added a 4th after I requested to be put
on insulin. I finally convinced him that based on my gastroparesis and other
complications, going on insulin would be the best step. ALL he was willing to do
was refer me to an endo. My endo and I agreed that I was *out of control* and I
was only running a 7.4 which is an average bg of 158-162. I never averaged a
reading of over 200 even at that point and I was testing 6-10 times a day.
 I would encourage her to go to her doctor but if she hasn't been taking her
meds, I seriously doubt she will...sounds like she is taking that cruise that
lots of type II's like to take...the one up the river known as De Nile. I
suspect she will have to deal with serious complications before she starts
taking it seriously. Liz

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com