Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #678 Subject: RE: [IP] Pay up

In a message dated 11/20/2003 12:17:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
From: "Grimes, Keith" <email @ redacted>
Subject: RE: [IP] Pay up

Dear All Insulin Pumpers members,

I think that there has been a lot said about "to pay or not to pay" for this
IP site and mailing list and everything associated with Insulin Pumpers.

I do not think that there IS enough money to pay for all the hard work that
Michael and all the other volunteers put forth. Did yall notice the word
VOLUNTEER ? That is exactly what the people who keep IP going are, they are
 volunteers. They are giving of their time and energy for all of us to benefit

I have been a member of IP for the past 18 months. There are days when I just
go and hit the delete buttons when my mailbox is full. There are though MANY
more days when I sit and read and read and sometimes laugh and even cry at
things that other people "just like me" have written. We all take the time to
 post because we feel like there might be just one person who might get
from what they have written. Just because I do not post every day, it does not
mean that I do not value this service that is "given" to us all.

I have been through some pretty hard times lately and if it was not for the
members of this site coming to my rescue(more than once) by sharing supplies
 and even medicine, I do not know what I would have done. I guess I would not be
"pumping" now. There are many times when I wish that I could meet all of the
members and tell them in person how much they all mean. The support that is
given to each of us from every one who is a member is just overwhelming.
I have written Michael an email and explained to him that I am having a
financial hardship right now and that I wish I had plenty of money to give to
 Insulin Pumpers. I do not have the money. I see where some of yall say where we
all put back at least $5 or $10 a month to give. I wish that I could. I have
no insurance and my medicines alone are over $12,000 a month, so every little
bit that I can get helps. I have offered to volunteer my time to do anything
that is needed that I would be able to do from home.

So when I read posts from some of the members who are talking negatively
 about the site. I just do not see how anyone can even ask : if This list
just like the others. I get lots and lots of email mailed to me everyday, I
read them, delete them, reply to some,
subscribe and unsubscribe. So why does this one need my money? The
 information here is very useful, but not anymore useful than the information I
get from
my non-publicly funded counterparts.
I guess the "member" who wrote that has not EVER gotten any important
 information from IP. I assume they are fortunate enough to have good insurance
have not needed to rely on the kindness and generosity of other members for
suppplies or medicine.
When someone asks why this site or list needs money? I am sure that Michael
does not live on the street and that he has utility bills that would include
power to run his computer and telephone lines. I do NOT think that Michael is
 out here asking for money to take his family on a vacation. I do not think he
trying to come up with money to buy a new car. I do believe that the reason
that there are fund raisers for Insulin Pumpers is because it DOES cost money
to keep IP up and running.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone. I am just tired of reading about people
who do not think it is neccessary to "pay" to be a member.  To everyone that
can and has donated $$$, THANK YOU  !!!

To Michael and ALL of your volunteers, THANK YOU ALL for a job well done !

Happy Pumping !
Gina Doyle