RE: [IP] candy for lows

Thanks, Jennifer for the confirmation.  It's SO nice to hear that I'm
not alone in my practices.  I appreciate your input immensely.

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Jennifer
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 9:15 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP] candy for lows

I was diagnosed in 1983 at the age of 11, and have not once eaten a
tab.  I've used all sorts of candies, and the one I've been using for
last 3-4 years is peanut m&m's.  They really do "melt in your mouth, not
your hands".  I work and play outside alot, and even in the 100 degree
heat, they don't melt.  The peanuts in them make them pretty
too.  When I was a kid, I used the low blood sugars as an opportunity to
something sweet.  I guess I still do. I'll use orange juice at home if
real low, and I do keep the glucose tabs with me (just in case).  Of
having the pump allows me to eat my m&m's sometimes "just because I want
to", not because of a low :-).  My cde and doctors preach about using
glucose tabs, but what I do has worked for me for 20 years, so I guess
keep it up.  YMMV.

From: "Juan Antonio Dominion" email @ redacted

I use Life Savers as well and since having a tooth problem, the Gummi
Savers, because they're softer (I know the sugar absorption probably
isn't as good).
All these years I couldn't understand why anyone would need the glucose
tabs, which I think taste horrible. I thought I was just a "bad"
renegade diabetic.

From: "Danielle Simmons" <email @ redacted>

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH, Antonio!  Put down the Life Savers and back away and
one will get hurt!  LOL  I ate so many Life Savers for lows growing up,
can barely look at them today.  Also had them repeatedly "melt" or get
sticky in purses or pockets over summers, sometimes drawing ants
neither of which the tabs do.  I buy drugstore-brand glucose tabs (which
come in artificial watermelon flavor mmmmmmm I really don't like
flavors as a rule, but watermelon is a sick penchant of mine since
Friendly's came out with Watermelon Sherbet Coolers when I was young
fwiw, the orange and raspberry are yummy, too.  Yes, they are more
than Life Savers.   And if one likes watermelon flavor like I do, there
*are* watermelon hard candies. <g>  But like the gal with 8 kids said,
would disappear in my house, too, with 6 kids - the glucose tabs look
"funky" enough that they respect that they're mine, mine, mine ;-)  And
really, does it matter *what* we use, as long as it works to bring down
*our* low?  Life Savers, Gummi Savers, Glucose Tabs - it's all good ;-)
Vive la difference!