RE: [IP] Pumping Toddlers

Antonio -

 While normally I agree with you. On this, I disagree. I spent three days in
PICU & then another night in the Ped. Unit @ Joshua's diagnosis. They could have
as easily taught me the pump as they did the shots. I spent the next 6 months
calling the endo for dosages. Changing the NPD, changing the Humalog. They could
have done the same thing with basals & boluses.

<< Some people wouldn't feel comfortable just
doing injections unless they were "taught" first. >>

Does someone who's kid is allergic to bee stings get taught to use the epipen?

<<This would allow the parents and the
 patient to have time to learn an injection routine and explore and learn about
pumping enough to decide which pump would be best for them. >>

 I agree with this. There are a lot of choices & some are "right" for our kids .
. . but any pump is better than none.

 The roller coaster ride we were on with NPH was totally out of this world. We
fed Joshua ice cream, cookies, etc. for breakfast just to get the carbs in him
because we'd already dosed him. It was a nightmare.

 You were a grown-up. You understood that you had to have a certain amount of
carbs based on your insulin regime. Joshua was 20 mos. old. He didn't eat if he
didn't feel like eating. You can't force a baby to eat. Again, it was a

 The pump allows Joshua to NOT eat. He was 37 lbs. last Dec. He's 37 lbs. now.
No obese kid there. Perhaps he would have been if I'd not insisted on the pump.

OK, I'm done.

western Massachusetts

LifeScan, Inc. http://www.lifescan.com