RE: [IP] Pumping Toddlers

I agree with you all, but injections need to be learned, even if in
addition to pumping.  There always has to be a fall back position for if
and when the pump fails.  Some people wouldn't feel comfortable just
doing injections unless they were "taught" first.  Also, not all people
can afford pumps, or want to have a medical device.  So injections
should be part of the diabetic initiation in the hospital.  In addition,
the benefits of a pump should be explained, and patients sent home with
the names of all the pump manufacturers and resources such as IP.org and
Children With Diabetes.com.  This would allow the parents and the
patient to have time to learn an injection routine and explore and learn
about pumping enough to decide which pump would be best for them.
People also need time to acquire the device, and the supplies which can
sometimes, with insurance authorizations and such, take weeks.  They
can't stay in the hospital all that time while having the staff give
them injections.  They really need to know how to do it themselves.  For
example, it was a little hard for me to give myself my first injection
at 27, but now it's a piece of cake.  However, I couldn't imagine giving
an infant an injection because I would have no idea how much skin to
draw up to avoid hitting muscle and what size syringes to use.  Hence
the need for education.  Even for someone like me a Type 1 who might
have to care for an infant Type 1, which would be totally different.

Furthermore, insulin can be deadly, especially for infants where small
dose titration is paramount.  Lack of insulin can also be deadly.  That
is why injections need to be taught, AND pump training needs time to be
given.  If pump therapy were so easy to master, then the medical field
and the pump manufacturers, who would love to sell more, would make them
easier to get.  There's a reason they spend so much time hiring trainers
and insisting on pump "training".  (I got 'kicked out' of City of Hope's
diabetes program for going on the pump before they 'trained' me on it.
They did this because there is a huge liability because pump therapy can
be dangerous.)

Antonio in Los Angeles
Dx Type 1 1993 @ Age 27
Paradigm 512