Re: [IP] Drug tests

In a message dated 11/14/03 11:42:07 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I have read on several sites that diabetics have false positive on drug
> tests.
> Is this true in just ones with liver/kidney problems, or all diabetics? If
> so,
> then wouldn't all diabetics have to tell prospective employers about this
> prior
> to testing? And isn't that against the law for them to ask? Then employers
> might
> be afraid to hire someone with diabetes due to insurance or fear of the
> disease
> and how the person can handle their disease.
> Sorry for all the questions, just thought ya'all might know the answers

It's been awhile since I've had a drug test and I don't know about false
 positives. However, I do know that you have to tell the people at the testing
what medications you are taking and that would include insulin or any oral
 anti-diabetic drugs. I don't know that the testing lab is obligated to tell the
potential employer that you take diabetes drugs -- just if you test positive
for illegal drugs (or not). Presumably, the testing lab would know if diabetes
causes false positives and would re-do the test if it was positive.

I have heard that ingesting poppy seeds (like on bagels or in poppy-seed
cake) can result in a positive test.

Jan and ElvisToo