[IP] Re: Insulin bad for the body?

>>>FYI:  I have met at least one person who uses the pump the way the
do shots.  Has never heard of carb counting etc.  ARGH!>>>

I would *blame* the doctor for that. That's how I used my pump(s) the first
16 years! When I first heard the words carb-counting 6/99 I asked why I
didn't know about that? He said, "Stick to the exchange system, it's
easier." Thanks to getting on the 'net group about a month later I learned
at least 17 things about pumping I had never been taught nor kept up with!
We depend on those *supposedly* knowledgeable about our care. I didn't have
a need to seek other help - my endo was a pumping pioneer. I trusted him. He
also congratulated me for an 8.2% A1c.

>>>my daughter 3mo.diagnosed starts pumpimg next wednesday. is it true that
insulin therapy can actually make you gain weight? well if that true, what
about the pump? do you gain weight too?>>>

As far as gaining weight on the pump, I did lose 20# - have since gained it
back after 20 years. ;-) But I was put on insulin at age 11 and Mom bought
me an elastic-waist skirt and it fell off of me! I was very thin for several
years and was on 2 kinds of insulin for 33 years. How old is your dtr? Is
she not on insulin now without pumping? It's the same insulin but perhaps a
different formula.

Much of the weight gain comes from enjoying all the high-calorie foods that
were previously forbidden. Extra calories mean extra weight. YMMV

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.