RE: [IP] Lantus question

My problem with Lantus was it would sometimes send me low within 2 hours
after I took it!  Yes, it is supposed to be slow and not do that but it did
(and I mean VERY low 30s), so I went back to NPH and Humalog. I now have had
4 HbA1c readings in the last year between 5.4 and 5.6.  I have never had
this good a level of control and A1c consistently below 6.

The NPH is taken before I go to bed and I count my meal carbs during the day
and take the appropriate amount of Humalog with each meal based on those
carbs.  For me, 30 units of NPH at night results in my being 100 - 130 in
the AM.  For each meal I take 9 units plus the number of carbs/5.

I certainly suggest he only take 1 Lantus shot/day and really think he
should look into the NPH and Humalog approach which has worked well for me.