From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Danielle Simmons
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:45 PM
To: ip-ip
Subject: Re: [IP] The Other Side of the Story

Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible contributions. Your
donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is
needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest of the
diabetes community. Please visit:

Shelley pondered: Is a woman going to hesitate a relationship with my son
> because he has "health issues"? He deserves to be involved in a
> healthy loving relationship regardless of his health "issues". Is this
> what my son has to look forward to?
> I HATE diabetes.

Shelley - I have to tell you, I *never* thought about relationships or
dating or marriage or any of that - I went out and lived a life.  Along the
way, dh-to-be came along, and he learned I had diabetes and, only did I find
out *much* later, he researched about it all he could to find out the "worst
scenario" type of thing and whether he realistically thought he could deal
with it.  He decided he could.  And love being love, here we are almost 20
years married thru all the ups and downs, bad moods, trips to the ER,
massive medical bills, etc.

It's sort of like my parents adopting me as a "healthy white infant" only to
have me dx with diabetes at 8, and a host of other issues at 12.  Life is
life, y'know, and throws curves - and God gives grace to handle what we and
our loved ones are dealt.  I agree with whomever posted that children "read"
our emotions, and any hostility you feel re diabetes will be picked up.
Rather, encourage your son to live life, and pursue his dreams, and he'll
handle the relationship part just fine.

(in SW NH, btw)