From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Juan Antonio
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 5:01 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP] Lantus question

One of the advantages of Lantus is that it's not supposed to have much
variability of absorption timing.  Thus, it should last only about 24
hours in the body.  One of the reasons that I do not take it any longer,
in fact, is that it used to wear off at about 20-22 hours, leaving me
with a tremendous high during the last few hours of the period.  I don't
believe that it's recommended to take the dose twice daily either, for
this reason.  It is usually prescribed to be taken in the evening,
sometimes in the morning, but not both.  So, what's happening is that
your brother is getting an overlap of the dosage.  He probably needs
that much during the day, or is compensating for it with extra carb
intake, but at night while sleeping, he cannot do this, so he is in
effect getting too much insulin.  Of course, we all know the solution to
this is pump therapy.  In the absence of that, however, I have read
recently that people were using the Lantus for their basic basal
insulin, then supplementing it with NPH, if necessary to cover any dawn
phenomenon, and Humalog or Novolog as needed for food intake.

Antonio in Los Angeles
Dx Type 1 1993 @ Age 27
Paradigm 512