[IP] capping off a sillouette infusion set

You know the little plastic cap that fits into the sillouette infusion sets on
you body  when you disconnect from your pump?  Are they for cosmetic purposes,
to keep from catching on stuff, etc., or does it serve a real purpose?  I
always dutifully plug in my little cap when I shower or bathe, but it's a
hassle.  Is there any harm in leaving it off?  As far as I can see, the cap is
not waterproof anyway.  I don't think it effectively plugs the set.  Could
bath water enter the catheter without it?

Thanks for the help.  I know only an IPer can understand the strange little
details we deal with!  :)

Yessi Palmer