[IP] Re: A1C targets

<I've had several endo's, two of which were at teaching hospitals, as
well...well respect. And they've always wanted me to remain as close to
6.0 or
under as possible. I'm currently running 5.7 and my current endo is
fine with
that. Their reasoning...I already have complications.>

 Well, as with everything it's probably highly dependent on individual
circumstances. Someone who has complications and/or doesn't have much
fluctuation in their blood sugars can probably aim for a lower range than
someone like me who tends to have bigger swings and more frequent lows. By the
way, I just checked the ADA website, and they say the recommendation for those
trying to achieve tight control is to aim for an A1C below 7.0. They also say
that those who suffer from hypoglycemic unawareness probably shouldn't go for
such tight control, as well as those with heart conditions or advanced
complications, or those who are elderly. They also said that the DCCT found that
those with really tight control suffered three times the number of hypoglycemic
incidents. So, as usual, it's ymmv. Pam