[IP] Re: target bg levels

<You can also regain your hypo awareness by raising your bg targets
for 4 -6 weeks. This is what our endo had us do and it worked
surprisingly well. Instead of targeting a range around 100, we raised
the target to 150 and voila! hypo awareness returned.>

 This raises an interesting question: I've noticed on this site that a lot of
people keep their A1C's very low - in the 5's or really low 6's. That's great
for avoiding any complications caused by high blood sugars, but is contrary to
what I've been told over the last 14 years by both of my endos (both of whom are
tops in their field - heads of diabetes departments at top university teaching
hospitals, etc.). Both said that having an A1C that low runs too many risks of
hypoglycemic incidents and longterm hypo unawareness, which, as others have
posted, can be more serious than running a bit on the higher side. For this
reason, they both recommended A1C's about half a point to one point over the
lab's normal range. For instance, my current lab says that an A1C of up to 6.1
is normal, so my endo says that someone with diabetes aiming for tight control
should run between 6.5 and 7.1. An A1C at this level should still greatly
minimize the risk of complications, but also help avo!
  serious lows as well as avoid developing hypoglycemic unawareness. Just
curious about what other people's endos have recommended. Pam, dx'd 1989,
pumping 10 years.