[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #656

In a message dated 11/12/2003 5:31:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
Subject: [IP] Advant Edge Ready to Drink Shake

Has anyone else tried this product?  They say it has 2 grams digestible
carbohydrates.  However, I have to take 3 units to cover it, and I take one
unit per 10 grams.

These types of products are made for those nondiabetics who are following the
atkins type of diets. They are legally allowed to say things like that if the
carbohydrate includes things like mannitol, that supposedly isn't digested.
But you have found out that it isn't really true for diabetics. It all raises
your glucose and if you are going to eat things like this you will have to
 bolus for all the carbs. When I was diagnosed in 1965, my doctor said to my
don't use dietetic foods, if you want to let her have candy, give her a real
candy bar, same thing.