[IP] cramping in legs

I went to my dr. today for back/leg pain.  Turns out I am learning about the
sciatica nerve the hard way.  :-(  Also, am having a problem with cramping in
calves when walking.  Doctor wants me to go for a circulation evaluation once
the sciatica thing is straight.  In the meantime, any tricks of the trade?
Increase of fluids?  Over the counter remedies?  Any help would be much