Re: [IP] hypoglycemic unawareness

I'm sorry to hear about your accident.  Just a few comments.  I'm not sure the
Glucowatch would be a great choice because it has been well-documented that it
does not handle low BG readings as accurately as it does high BG readings, and
its a bit expensive if it cannot be relied upon.  I'm also not aware of any
alarms that can be set with 3 successively lower readings, but perhaps the
newest version finally has that feature -- if not, the manufacturer should
think about adding it.

I don't know about anyone else on this list, but for me, each hypoglycemic
experience is different.  I have had the classic "symptoms" (sweating, etc.)
at when I technically wasn't even hypoglycemic (75 mg/dL) yet but my BG was
dropping.  On the other hand, I have had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever at
35 mg/dL and been completely lucid and able to treat myself but had to double
check the numbers on a different meter because I simply couldn't believe them.
 This had nothing to do with when my last low reading was.  People with Type 1
lack a functioning counter-regulatory response (the alpha cells in the Islets
of Langerhans are also destroyed by autoimmunity, even though researchers
never seem to acknowledge their presence) leaving the person to rely
exclusively on the epinephrine response, which can become muted over time.  It
sucks.  Just to echo something mentioned on another thread:  there is NO good
side of DM.

The best option when driving is to error on the safe side and let BG run a bit
on the high side before driving (esp. on long trips) and to treat anything you
suspect might be due to low BG while driving -- eat a few life savers while
driving without bothering to test first.  You can always lower your BG later
(and DKA is highly unlikely unless you have no insulin circulating in the
body), but its kind of tough to do much of anything if you're involved in a
serious accident.  Is always a good idea to stop and test every 1/2 hour - 45

Dx'd Type 1 9/1976 at age 5; pumping with Animas since 6/2002 at age 33