[IP] Re: hypoglycemic unawareness

> <snip> Apparently according to witnesses I blew
> my right front tire, drove another 5-6 blocks without slowing down and ran
> a ditch. This was told to me by the state police in the ER. I don't
> remember any of it. <snip>
> I normally check my B>S> prior to driving and I had checked it within the
> last two hr. the last reading being 98. The EMT got 40 and I had a candy
> wrapper in my hand. <snip> Any suggestions

A BG check 2 hrs. before driving is wayyyy too far from the fact. Check
within a half hour, and if under 100, have a Glucotab or two to bring it up
to about 120. Our own IPer James Handsfield, from the CDC posted this to the
list: "Under the Clinical Laboratories Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA
'88), all home test meters must meet the same minimum accuracy and precision
requirements. Their tests must be within 5% of a laboratory standard 50% of
the time.  That may be approximated as +/- 20%."

Therefore, we can *pre*sume you could be well under that 98 BG that was
taken 2 hrs. prior. So, my *suggestion* is to not drive unless over 100 and
test within a half hour before driving.

Best to you.

The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender,
religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside,
we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.