[IP] Re:Hospitalized again

Re:  The hospitalization for vomiting.  jFirst of all, you did the right
thing by contacting the doctor and taking Haley in to see him.

My son Dan got a bad case of the stomach flu about a year after he was
 diagnosed, before he went on the pump. He started vomiting in the middle of the
 night, could keep nothing down, not even a sip of water, an ice chip or syrup
cola.  We talked to his nurse every couple of hours, and finally at 6:00 am I
told her I wanted to take him to the ER--it seemed  to me that he was getting
dehydrated.  He had slight ketones at this point.

He spent a couple of hours in the ER with an IV, did not improve and was
 admitted. After several more hours he looked and felt much better, although
kept him overnight.  The next day I asked our endo and nurse, who had both
 stopped by his room at the same time, what we could have done better in order
have avoided the hospitalization.  The endo said, "Nothing.  If the vomiting
is so bad that the child can't keep anything down, and it lasts for several
hours, the child needs to be put on an IV."

As someone else pointed out, if the child is dehydrated, he can have ketones
without necessarily having a high number.

Dan has not had a vomiting virus since then (It was a year and a half
 ago)(knock on wood). When he gets one again, hopefully it won't be as severe.
And I
think being on the pump will make it easier (One thing I worried about was
his having a lot of NPH in his system and not being able to take any carbs).
Next time, once again, I will try to get him to take some juice or sweetened
fluids by mouth and keep checking both his bg and his ketones.  The nurse also
told me that sometimes kids who are vomiting can tolerate a lollipop or the
syrup of cola, though last time neither worked.  And if he can't seem to keep
 anything down, I'll call the nurse or the endo again, ask about adjustments to
basal settings, ask what else I should do, and go to the ER if I need to.
Sometimes that is all you can do.

a message dated 11/11/2003 5:50:15 PM Central Standard Time,