Re: [IP] Hospitalized Again - someone help with advice please

>  I have never heard of DKA when your sugar is in the 100"s. Did they
>  say what
> her BG was? That is crazy. I have had diabetes for 33 years and I
> have never heard of spilling large ketones unless your BG is very
> high for a more than a day.

The keyton production in question is not a function of BG's but
rather one of starvation. When you are ill, vomiting, not eating,
your body is basically consuming itself to stay alive. The conversion
of tissue to carbs is what produces the keytones. This is not really
a problem except that it is accompanied with fluid loss which IS a
problem as it brings on dehydration. ANY excersion of bg's above
normal under such conditions becomes dangerous. The three things in

1) dehydration
2) keytones
3) high bg's

are what is necessary to bring about DKA. That's why it is so
important to stay hydrated, and to seek medical attention when these
things begin to get out of control.

We (the diabetes community) normally associate DKA with high bg's
because under this condition the kidneys will attempt to flush out
the excess glucose. This will obviously cause dehydration and the
accompanying lack of insulin will cause keytone production as the
body (again) consumes itself to survive in the short term. There are
lots of other scenarios where dehydration can occur as in the example
above -- these are more dangerous for people with diabetes because IF
bg's happen to get out of control at the same time, bad things

This is also a powerful argument for GETTING YOUR FLU SHOT 'cause you
don't want yet another unexpected surprise that can push you into
toward DKA because you are ill.