[IP] RE: IP Eye Docs

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:42:47 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Eye Docs

  A previous post mentioned a new retina scanner.  What is this and how is it
used at a doctor visit?

 I work for an optometrist and we use a retinal scanner, actually called a
Heidelberg Retnial Tomograph. It is like an MRI of the eye. It scans the many
layers of the retina and provides an image that allows us to see changes in the
layers that would affect vision. It's awesome. Normally, insurances will pay for
it if there is disease or abnormality of the retina: IE retinopathy, glaucoma..
so not every diabetic will have this done.
Joni  (dx'd 2/2001 type I, Paradigm 511)