Re: [IP] Diabetes on TV

Here's an opening brightener!  My husband, when he went on the pump, was
told in no uncertain terms by his CDE to wear his medic-alert necklace.  . .
I thought he'd lost it years ago!  . . . We dug through a drawer and right
down there at the bottom was the old necklace!  He puts it on every morning.
  I hadn't seen the thing in at least 15 years.

In Chicago?  You got to be kidding!  That is an episode  straight out of KGH
and Me (the Canadian medical soap opera!)  The Canadian health care workers
know nothing about the pump!!!

Scene #1

Nuclear Medicine

Me:  My husband has hypoglycemic unawareness and he hasn't eaten in 5 hours,
he's also brittle so when will you be done so I can test his blood sugars .
.  . ?

Nuclear Medicine Tech (real busy  so she cheerily cuts me off!):  Well, if
any anything happens we'll call on you!

Me:  (My private thoughts)  If anything happens, you'll calling on a lot
more than me, baby!

Before we got the glucose meter.

I come in one morning, my husband is blue and pale and semi -responsive.

I rush to the ward refrigerator.  No unsweetened juice!  No milk! No
nothing!  Until I spied that carton of Tropicana premium juice fresh juice
from Florida.  Definitely not hospital issue.  Probably somebody's lunch?
Maybe, a treat somebody brought in for a sick child?  The devil made me do
it!  I snatched that juice, slipped it into my pocket and rushed for my
husband's room!

Within minutes, he was bright-eyed and bush-tailed once again!

Nurse to my husband because he uses the Sof-Tact glucose monitoring device:
Wow!  How much does something like that cost?  . . . I see! . . . They only
give us the cheap junk around here!

Etc. etc. etc.

When are hospitals going to get their staff trained on modern diabetes