[IP] The good side of DM

For anyone who has a problem reconciling that there
are good things about DM - stop reading now and hit
the delete key.  I think my story is especially
pertinent, however, to those parents of kids with DM
who see absolutely nothing positive in having

I was Dx'd at the age of 11.  My parents had the
wisdom to send me to summer camp - mostly to give
themselves a vacation - but also to let me hang out
with other kids who also have DM.

When I was 14, I met another DM camper who became one
of my best friends.  We were inseperable at camp,
during the school year (although we lived over an hour
apart), during school vacations, and our parents
developed a friendship as well.

After high school we went our seperate ways as we
trudged off to university.  Over the years, my friend
and I lost touch.  Unbeknownst to either of us, our
mothers stayed in touch.  At my mother's funeral 18
months ago - there was the mother of my friend come to
bid farewell to my mother.  It was a very special

Last Friday, my friend flew into Denver to visit me.
We had not seen each other in over 25 years.  Of
course, we look exactly the same as we did back then
(not exaggerating much).  And we immediately picked up
right where we left off - practically in mid-sentence.
 We spent three full days yakking, shopping, and
finishing each other's sentences.

Friendships like this obviously do not happen every
day to everyone.  But, I am thankful that I have a
friend that I would not have ever had if I were not
diabetic.  We understand each other's frustrations
with DM, we understand how it feels to be hypo &
hyper, we share more than your average friend can or
could ever understand.

And, NOTHING will ever sway me that having diabetes
has not brought at least one wonderful thing into my
life - a friendship like this.

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?