[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #648

> Subject: [IP] Bolusing and eating out
>>>  When do you bolus for
> a restaurant meal?  When you order?  Or when the food gets to the table?
> personally, bolus after I get the meal and sometimes even after I have
> how much of it I want!

In the early days of pumping, we didn't have Humalog/Novolog. Just Regular
or Velosulin pure pork insulins. Those required about 20-30 min. lead-time
of bolusing to eat. The problems were: Walk into McD's and no line. Do you
bolus and stand there and wait 20 min. - then by that time a line forms and
food is delayed? Or bolus when you order at a sit-down restaurant not having
a clue as to when the actual food will arrive? It was difficult and I'm sure
A1c's were not as accurate as they could have been. PTL for rapid-acting
insulin so we can bolus and click away while placing the food into our

If I happen to be low and eat something I know is a little too much, I
square the bolus over a half hour so it won't hit me all at once and it will
be covered.

I've decided that I'm gonna eat what *I* feel is good for me and let the
scientists make THEMSELVES dizzy! liz - IPer