Re:[IP] Victrectomy local

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:34:54 -0500 Mike Moffat wrote:
Can anyone who has had this done tell me what to expect    before,
during, and
after.  Can you see the instruments while they are doing the surgery or
the lights to bright. Where do they inject the local. I know it`s not
your eyeball but t must be darn close.  Hope about the drugs the give
you by
iv did they send you into lala land. And last how long did you have to
where a
patch on your eye.  As usual I understand YMMV    mike in Canada <<<

I had a vitrectomy several months ago. They used the IV to knock me out
just long enough to give the local (somewhere in the eye). I came to,
not even realizing I had been out for a couple of minutes. I was awake
through the surgery, during which they put a sheet over my head, with a
hole in it just big enough for the surgeon to work through. That also
prevents your other eye from being able to see anything useful. I
couldn't see any instruments, but my visual field was constantly
changing, so I knew the surgeon was doing his job. Whatever they gave
me via IV didn't send me into lala land. I wore the patch until the
next morning. YMMV! And I hope yours goes as well as mine did.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000