[IP] vitrectomies LONG

Dear MIke:

I have had two...one in 1994 in my left eye and one in 2000 in my right eye.
I posted a whole bunch about it back then, but here are some highlights...I
am sure technology has changed in the three years since my last V - it had
changed a butt load since the one in 1994.....

So here is the scoop on the latest and greatest in retinal technology...and
my (sit down for this), AMAZINGLY perfect experience with medical

I went in last Wednesday morning.  BGs had been holding between 150 and 190
despite a Tuesday Chinese dinner...checked every 20 minutes prior to surgery,
 ranging between 180 and 193, which was PERFECT. I was somewhat nervous (to say
the least) as my friend who had rode the train there with me had left to get
to class...so I sat in the waiting room alone....finally I get called...I put
on the gown, AND pants (yay no necked butt), AND a robe!!! and go sit in a big
ass Lazy boy recliner while they do bp and temp and ask me the same questions
over and over...they did try to take my meter away, but I insisted, as you
knew I would, so they gave me another baggy for it (as if mine was not good

I had been given the option of NOT having general anesthesia, but I am not a
fool, so I had asked for it....SOMEHOW, however, the orders didn't make it to
my chart and the nurse said, OK so you are going to get a local here.  I said
"no, it was general," and he said "no, the chart said local" and I said "well
then get my clothes cuz I ain't having it then..." so he didn't say anything
else but they made a few calls.

As I said, I was kinda nervous...and a nice nurse must have read the panic in
my eyes and asked if I wanted "a little something"  - bring it on I
 said...and they brought me a nice valium...more questions...then they wheel me
in my
big ass lazy boy recliner into the pre-op room...

The anesthesia nurse comes by...Nice Irish accent, looks through my
 chart.....now there is a letter in there from the internist who did my pre-op
that basically said I was to keep my pump and what my bg ranges were supposed
to be and what the sliding scale for insulin should be, AND that I should have
a dextrose drip (?!?).  When the internist WROTE the letter, I told him I
wanted my target 175 -
200, yet he wrote 140-160 in the letter.  I told him 1 unit of insulin can
lower me 65 points, and he put my sliding scale as 1 to 50, and I TOLD him I
 wanted a saline drip but he said there really wasn't any need to be worried
such a tiny amount of glucose, so he ordered dextrose!!!  what KILLS me is I
had to PAY for him to do this!

The Irish nurse looks at this, and looks at me with raised eyebrows?
 dextrose drip? she says? I told her I didn't want it, that the internist had no
clue about how I worked, and that I didn't even know why he had written the
 letter...She rolls her eyes and flips the letter to the back of the
it tis, dearie!!!"  Of course my veins gave her grief and I ended up having
the IV put in my hand...OWWW.  Few minutes later, she slides is some nice
 VERSID (ask for it by name). Right then, Dr. Fisher (all say Hallelujah to the
great and powerful KING DOCTOR, all bow down before the great and wonderful
 god-doctor), and I gave him a copy of posts from here from Renee and Ali, who
had said nice things about him, and again promised him cookies....and then the
anesthesia doc comes in and we chat a few minutes about the pump and then I
woke up....

Only my one eye was bandaged, unlike both when I had it in 1994.  There was
 no nausea or puking, also unlike I had in 1994 (and there is NOTHING WORSE than
throwing your guts up while worrying that your heaving might pop your just-
 vitrectomied eyeball out of the socket!!)...Apparently I took an unusually long
time to come out of the anesthesia...guess it felt so good to have such hard
dreamless sleep, but finally I did...I did a bg and couldn't read the number
so they told me it was 269...I was kinda bummed about that, but I had been out
of it longer than I had expected and the stress of worrying about NOT getting
my anesthesia might have contributed, so I conservatively corrected with 2

My boss was there when I got my OWN clothes back on...we walked outside,
 hailed a cab and an hour and a half after I woke up, I was home. My bg then was
98...in checking the meter history, I saw the so-called 269 was ACTUALLY only
219 - those idiots...so my bg went from 183 pre op to 219 post op - not bad!!!

Basically I slept the rest of the day...My doctor called me about 7:30 and
 gave me his HOME phone number. Next morning I took the subway alone to the doc.
 he took off bandage, said "looks good, surgery went well." He'd left the
lens and the cataract had remained stable so that was good...gave me some
 prescriptions and sent me home. I could watch TV, go to a movie or go out to
 but no power walking (and I didn't ask, but probably no head board banging
 In 1994 I had to wear a patch on the eye all day for the first week, and a
little plastic guard at night for 3 weeks after that to keep me from hitting
it...NONE of that in 2000.

Mom flew in later that day and went to the doc with me on Monday, where he
 said I was definitely doing well. No inflammation, no swelling, no infection.
He explained this crap to my mom and she seemed to understand FINALLY, and
 showed her his neat -o cool high tech ultrasound machine...I could SEE there
no more big chunks of gook in there...looks just like a lite dusting of talcum
powder now...He says this may take up to 6 weeks to fully clear, since he
 left the lens in. If he had had to take lens out, then it would have cleared in
a week, but the lens in makes it harder to the blood to get out...BUT if he
 had taken lens out if would have been a WHILE before I could get an implant of
contact lens and I would be virtually blind in that eye...

So to sum up, I still don't have much vision in that eye, but it is there and
there are no black swirls and clumps.  The peripheral vision seems to still
 be there, as does the color, both of which have been destroyed in the 1994 eye,
AND my pupil is still round, which is NOT the case on the other eye.

I asked him if I should not be working on the computer or reading...He was
like bah...you are gonna jiggle your eyes, just watching TV or talking to
 someone...so don't worry about it....good....His exact words were I looked
good SO FAR.  He wants me to stay home this week and I will...he wants me to
 stay home next week too, and we will see if I can sit still that long. There is
STILL some vitreous in there, around the lens, so there is always the chance
it could bleed...he can't laser there cause that would result in an immediate
 cataract....I could still bleed from the laser he did do, until it heals up, so
no bending lifting and sleep with head elevated.  now it is just literally
wait and see

AND TO BRING IT CURRENT TO 2003....2 weeks later I went out on a blind
 date....no pun intended. In 1994, I didn't go out for 6 weeks without
sunglasses on
cuz my eye looked like something the cat dragged in, and in 2000 it was so
much better I even went on a date with a guy i had never met, so I am sure NOW
it is even better and even less invasive and destructive.  The next several
 visits to Dr. Fisher, I brought him cookies, and flowers...he is truly god's
to us....unlike the witch doctor Dr. Lee who was so evil to me.  Since 2000,
I have had NO bleeding (knock on wood) in either eye...The cataract is getting
bigger, but not ready to go yet....I just saw an eye doc here in tucson who
 says I look good in both eyes...hell there is nothing left to bleed in there -
that is the whole point of a vitretcomy.

All that said.....YMMV.....nothing is guarateed - that is why they make you
sign all those waivers.....but I would hold only positiv thoughts in my head,
if at all possible and know that good will come of this! Good luck

Sara Smarty Pants