[IP] Re: DKA is what it was

On Monday, November 10, 2003, "greg stewart" <email @ redacted>

>  we always step in when we sense that he's getting a little burned
> out.  We have periods (days!!) where we even program in his pump
> boluses!  I
> was amazed to hear the vehement replies to the mom who checks her
> son's BGs in
> the middle of the night.  Why not?  Who wrote the rule that kids with
> diabetes
> have to carry this big burden all by themselves?  Many, probably most,
> adults
> with type 2 diabetes cannot sustain the kind of management that type 1
> diabetes requires, so why in the world do we expect kids to carry this
> load by
> themselves?

Well, Greg, my immediate gut reaction was -- gosh, I wish I had your
family available to me sometimes!  I just can't seem to train my
husband right <gr.>.  When I was a child, my father couldn't have been
less involved ( common in the 50s, I'm sure), and there was just
something about urine tests that was a little too personal for anyone
else to do for you <gr.>.  But I know I did appreciate having my mother
give me a shot sometimes,  even as I got into my teens -- I believe she
did it pretty routinely until I was at least 10.  And certainly having
a correctly "exchanged" meal available at the right time, a cornerstone
of diabetic control in those days, made my life a lot easier -- and
also, by setting a standard I was used to, helped me to continue this
control later.  I was on my own in boarding school by 14 (and had to
sometimes fight to be able to meet my needs there), and, while I'm sure
that helped my ability to manage all these years, I suspect I might be
a somewhat less defensive person if I had just lived with a supportive
family through my teen years <gr.>.

I didn't understand, though, why you were comparing type 1 children
with type 2 adults, rather than type 1 adults (or at least
insulin-dependent adult diabetics)?   It seems to me that short-term
consequences rather than just long-term consequences  would make a huge
difference as an incentive for sustaining good management.

Linda Z
dx1955 at age 8