[IP] Re: DKA is what it was

Hi all,

Re:  the trip to the hospital as a "lesson:"  My son Dan is 12 and has only
had diabetes for two years.  Most of the time he is pretty good about doing
 what he needs to do to stay healthy, although he does forget sometimes or makes
bad estimate of the carbs he's had, etc.  I do know some other parents of
 teens with diabetes who are very frustrated, though, with teenage rebellion and
noncompliance and I think it may have been some of that frustration that came
out in the original post.  The mom did take the child to the hospital to get
the care she needed.

 I agree that parents of kids with diabetes do walk a fine line.  When Dan
 was diagnosed, we were told by the team at his children's hospital that the
current research seems to show that people who are managing their diabetes
best in their early to mid-20s had a great deal of support at home when they
 were kids and teens. They stressed that while it was necessary for the child to
realize that he or she must understand their condition and act responsibly,
the family has to step in and help--many kids who are told that they must be
 wholly responsible for their own management seemed to burn out and start
off by the time they are in the mid-20s.  Kids who had family members who
would say, "Tired of testing?  I'll prick for you tonight," or "I'll do your
shots today if you'd like" tended to do better later.  Our family doesn't have
enough experience with it yet to know, and I know that full-fledged teen
 rebellion hasn't hit us yet, but I just thought I would pass that insight
on--it made
an impression on me.