[IP] Thurs. 11/13/03 BOCA RATON, FL, PUMP SUPPORT

THE DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE

University of Miami Medical School
Invites you to the
INSULIN PUMP SUPPORT GROUPb&
FOR PUMPERS AND WOULD-BE PUMPERS AND THEIR FAMILIES

Time: November 13, 2003----7:00p.m.
Hey..Back to our regular 2nd Thursday of the monthb&.
Place: Whitehall Nursing Home
Boca Raton

I will be so happy to see all of us get back together againb&and look forward
to the new people who will be coming.

Hey you don't have to have diabetes to be concerned about candy on
Halloween.B  Some researchers have done a study showing that kids will choose
a small and
inexpensive Halloween gift and be happy with it just as much as candy. Not
having candy does not take the fun out of the holiday! Of course people with
diabetes can have candy..but we are worrying about obesity in this country
now.
"When treats become so regular, they underscore overeating as a norm, not a
celebratory exception."

Remember how I am always talking about how you can learn to find humor in
things? Well, new research says that forgiveness can be learned, too. (Not of
course by everyone). It makes sense to work on this as there are correlations
between chronic unforgiveness (yes it is a word) and emotional and physical
stress and health. (Cardiovascular and immune system functioning) Forgiving,
including the diagnosis and daily management of diabetes, means replacing
negative
emotions with more positive ones.

We know that not forgiving our parents for errors may unknowingly reassign
our anger to spouses and interfere in how a person realistically sees their
marriage. Certainly we know that to manage in the present, one has to forgive
spouses and children for mistakes, not to mention forgiving ourselves. The
grudges
may feel like they give you power but they really promote distance, interfere
with intimacy, and probably keep blood pressure high. It comes back to the
person getting you twiceb&if you hold onto the anger and don't figure out a
way
to forgive or help the other person to be sorry.

Of course this is controversialb&come and share your ideas.

Please contact me, Dr. Wendy Satin Rapaport, if you have any questions prior
to the meeting at 561-477-8595.