Re: [IP] Need Carb Couting Book

> Does anyone know of a good carb counting book?  I'm looking for one
> that shows pictures of various foods, like a plate of pasta, and
> gives the carb amount.  Not a verbal discussion or list of carbs
> (those I can look up).  I'm talking about for foods that can't be
> practically measured (like pasta on a plate in a restaurant).  I
> would like a book that shows more of how to look at something and
> 'guesstimate' the carbs.  I had a dietitian that did some of this
> with me, but I need a refresher, and more guidelines would be
> helpful.

If you measure these things at home, you can learn what it looks like
fairly rapidly. Likewise, when my daughter and I were first learning,
we measured them in resturants too. Pasta is best measured by volume
because the amount of water it retains is directly related to the
cooking time. The volume don't change but this affects the weight
dramatically. Most pasta is pretty constant carb by volume. And.....
water glasses come in standard sizes for most resturants. Knowing
that you can ask for an empty water glass and easily measure your
pasta. Might be messy and look a little odd, but it works. BTDT.
After a while, you'll be able to get pretty close by inspection. The
same thing works well for rice as well.