[IP] Re pain with silhouettes

Warning - This is a horror story - Don't read if you use/like the Sils.

 Joshua started on the Sils in June. I went out & bought a SilSerter prior to
his pump start. The CDE brought that nasty "fake flesh" for us to practice
inserting. Well, I'd inserted the Sils into myself when I wore the pump on
saline prior to Joshua's pump start & found there was no pain involved in
inserting, but since we'd used the InjectEase for shots, the SilSerter might
help with Joshua.

 Not only does the SilSerter make a really loud nasty noise, but when my
daughter used it in the "fake flesh" it actually bent the needle. I put the
device away never to be used again. (Anyone want it?)

 So, from then on, I inserted Joshua's Sils manually. It was a horror story. He
was terrified of the needle & it took two people, one to hold him down, one to
insert. EMLA? ElaMax, Ice. Didn't matter. It was a struggle. So I started doing
his site change while he was sleeping. At first he twinged a little. Then he
started whimpering. Finally, he'd wake & fight me. This is the gross part.

 One night I pinched the skin on his tummy & the Sil went THROUGH & out the
other side. That was it for me. I demanded that we try the QuickSets.

 Joshua now helps insert the QuickSets using the insertion device. He's still
apprehensive, but that's left over from the trama of the Sils. Granted he's
young & the needle on the Sils is intimidating. Like I said, I used it on myself
with no problem, my daughter inserted herself with no problem, but if a site set
doesn't work for you, try a different one.

I can't wait to try the Simple Choice Patch.

western Massachusetts

LifeScan, Inc. http://www.lifescan.com