[IP] Re: Dr. Joslin

> do you happen to know where Joslin practiced?  Keene State College
> in NH has a Joslin Hall which used to house their nursing program and
> patient rooms early in the 1900's, headed by a Dr. Joslin - haven't been
> able to discover if it's the same guy or not.

I'm sure he is the same Joslin. Joslin is a pioneer name in DM thingies. He
was one of the first drs who gave insulin that Banting and Best developed in
Toronto. If you do a search about the discovery of insulin, I'm sure he's
involved in the story.

Joslin Diabetes Center awards a 25-year cetificate for, you guessed it, 25
years of IDDM. ;) They give a bronze medal (actually a small paperweight)
for 50 years IDDM. At one time they gave a silver medal for 25 yrs but you
had to go through all kinds of tests to prove no complications. Drs balked
at subjecting patients to unneeded tests for a medal. They dropped the medal
and now give a certificate for 25 years. See:
and request info.

For 50 years, you had/have to be warm and breathing. Joslin *tells* Eli
Lilly Co. and they give a sterling silver medallion on a s.s. chain
recognizing 50 years of insulin therapy. Your name is engraved on the back.
These medals can be seen on my picture trail of my BASH I had celebrating 50
years of LIFE and SURVIVAL - not of DM! ;)

Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice so they
won't get it wrong. ~ Julie Andrews' teacher