[IP] Re:  being a kid with diabetes

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:16:21 -0500, Susan email @ redacted wrote:
  My oldest brother was diagnosed in 1943 at the age of 4. (He is still
pretty well considering the duration of the disease. He did loose a leg
a few
years ago, but had his BMW motorcycle fitted so that he could ride it

  Anyway, my mom said they only had Regular Insulin then and he had to
several shots a day at that time. She was relieved when they came out
with N.

  Unfortunately, my mom had 2 more with T1 many years later. My sister
is the
only one of 4 children without diabetes. <<<

I was dx in 12/1942, and used Regular and PZI right from the start. PZI
was Protamine Zinc Insulin, made by Eli Lilly. PZI was a real long
acting insulin, because it lasted for almost 36 hours. I suspect that
the physician who treated Susan's brother simply chose not to use PZI.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000