[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #635: replies to Kelly,Ruth and Pam

Hi,  I'm enjoying all your posts and already learning a lot.  Some thoughts
on some of the posts I saw in the digest:

Kelly asked:,
<My question is, is this hard to learn?

On the subject of getting your 11 year old daughter started on the Cozmo--my
son Dan started on the cozmo six months ago at 12 and we had a two hour
 session with a rep from the pump provider at our house, then did saline for a
and went in to see a CDE at our hospital who specializes in pumps to get us
started on the insulin.  That session took maybe an hour and a half or two
 hours--like David, I'm not sure why your daughter would need to be hospitalized
get started, but if that's the way your dr. does it, that's probably how it'll
have to be.

As David pointed out, the Cozmo has a very intuitive menu, but in my opinion
it is hard to really get to know a pump until it is in use.  I also agree with
David that the pumper is the one who needs the bulk of the training.  Danny
was the focus of our training, though his dad and I were trained as back-up,
too.  In fact, our CDE told us that one potential pitfall of the pump is that
 the kids get so proficient and self-sufficient at it, that parents sometimes
a little out of touch with the kids' numbers and need to make an effort to
check the numbers every week or so.

But back to the training:  after the initial rep training, I remember feeling
somewhat overwhelmed, but as soon as you actually start working with the pump
it becomes much easier than it seems when it is just being demonstrated to

We are also going through the hormonal swings in bg with Dan.  The pump has
not cured the highs, we are still trying to get a handle on them, but we have
many fewer lows.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to email me with any questions.

Ruth asked:
< 1. anyway: do any of you have extra insurance on your pump? or is it
<covered under homeowners?

I don't think that the health insurance company would replace a lost or
 stolen pump, though I think manufacturers will replace broken ones (We've had
 replaced in six months). We were told pumps are covered under most homeowners'
policies, but given the fact that recently insurers have been known to cancel
policies of homeowners who actually use their coverage, we have been thinking
of doing some kind of supplemental policy just for the pump.  Of course, we
haven't done anything about it yet.

Ruth also asked:
<i was interested to hear if this switcharoo (pump back to injections) was
<common practice?

My son has gone from pump to shots twice for two or three days at a time when
the pump was broken.  Your CDE or doctor could advise you best, but there is
some guesswork and adjustment involved, both in establishing the dosage on
 your long-acting injections and sometimes in reestablishing the basal rate of
pump when you restart as well.  You may end up getting the doses fine-tuned
just in time to put the pump back in, so it may not be worth it.

Pam asked:
>Does anyone else have incredible pain when inserting the silhouette set into
>some places?

My son uses the silhouette with an inserter (the sil-serter), but he seems to
feel that intense pain you describe only if the insertion is too deep (into
the muscle) or not deep enough (just under the skin).  If we get it into the
layer of subcutaneous fat, it doesn't seem to be painful at all.  Maybe the
 inserter would help, since you can at least try to get the same angle of
every time.