RE: [IP] Re: being a kid with diabetes Way Back When

I started with this in December 1956 and remember all the clinetest,
boiling syringes, sharpening needles, etc.  But the worst was when I was
first diagnosed as a twelve year old.  They couldn't get the blood from
my arm for a blood test and simply decided it would be easier to take it
from my neck that to keep trying other sites.  I was told to lie VERY
STILL.  Boy was I scared.  I remember the monthly Forecast magazine and
remember having to carry a pill bottle full of Welch's grape juice and
waxed papered graham crackers in my pocket for my snacks.  I remember
making up "good" test scores for the doctor when very few were ever
blue.  I am glad these are all distant memories.  What a new world
opened up with about 1980 when I got my first meter and 1981 when I got
my first pump.  I loved the pump (and still do) so much that I was a
guinnea pig for Minimed for seven years with the implanted pump
(1986-93) study at University of California Irvine.  I am also very
grateful to my parents and other ancestors for good genes since I don't
deserve to be complication free after almost 47 years.  But let's look
to the future and the artificial pancreas (with the pump and CGMS for
parients, with islet cell transplants, with all the other wonderful
things helping us live better and longer.

Joel Goodman