[IP] Re: Here is a question for all those Cosmo pump users.........

First, I can't believe they're gonna put your daughter in the hospital
to pump start.  We started our 18 month old (last April) with a day at
the Endo's.  Second, I don't know what you and your husband are going
to do for 6 hours of training.  The pump takes about 2 hrs. to learn.
I'm no rocket scientist (but my brother is!) and neither is my wife,
yet we feel that the pump and its menus are very intuitive and have
found it easy to use (besides, it comes with a manual!).

My last piece of unsolicited advice is to let your daughter do all the
work and learning.  Shelby should be going to these classes to learn
the pump and how to take care of herself.  You should be along for the
ride.  I know you're only 3 months into diabetes and still have "deer
in the headlights" syndrome (I remember), still it gets smoother rather
quickly.  Get the book "Pumping Insulin" (which you can find on the IP
website) and read it.  It tells you everything you need to know to get
started, but only started.  You quickly find out that your child is
distinctly different from the average person! (I won't bore you with
how different a 2 yo is from the average).

You will do fine.  Don't let them panic you.

David Jensen
Father to Sigrid, Dx 9/02 @ 11 months, Pumping Cozmo 4/03.