[IP] Re: being a kid with diabetes

Some rambling comments:
> What was the reasoning behind testing the urine if you couldn't really do
>  anything about it? Were you supposed to look for trends and tell the
doctor at
> your appointment?  That must have been extremely frustrating!

Frustrating? What, about getting bawled out for all the 4+ tests? Yep, we
had to write them down and report them and the dr. shook his head not
knowing what to do with you, you bad thing! The renal threshold thingie I
mentioned means it's like an individual dam inside the bladder and at a
certain point the sugar spilled into the urine. I know of one man who didn't
spill until his BG reached 286. So a negative (blue) test still meant a high
one for him. And, can you believe it, but 3 yrs ago for my 50th anniversary
celebration of life and survival BASH Bayer sent me a brand new Clinitest
set with unexpired tablets for a gift. I couldn't believe they're still
making them.

About telling the dr at the next appointment, one of my favorite jokes,
although somewhat outdated: Dr. was surrounded by a group of young DMers. He
told them since Mary had all her tests written down the others could do the
same thing. Mary beamed proudly: I have next month's all ready, too - wanna
see 'em?

Any adjustments made were by guess and by gosh. No A1c's 'til around mid
'80s. I often had fruity-smelling breath as a kid. Genes, in my estimation,
are also what has kept me around. I think it's remarkable that with the care
I had (Mom kept me well fed to avoid lows - besides, might as well enjoy
life since I was going to die anyway) I went almost 52 years with this
before needing dialysis.

> When I got my first BG Meter I thought I had died and gone to heaven...
> Imagine, being able to actually test your own blood right in your home and
> get your bg within a MINUTE...

Well, I couldn't think of any earthly reason for me to poke my own fingers
and test my blood! I actually turned around and walked out of the room when
I saw my first meter. It would only show me how wrong / bad I was and wanted
nothing to do with it. That was probably in the mid '70s and I didn't do any
home BG testing 'til '81 - for a year, to prepare me for the pump. Proving I
could / would do 4x a day.

As bad as my endo (for 18 yrs) was, I do credit him for making me a pumping
pioneer in '83. I still had bad control due to his lack of upkeep with new
trends and knowledge.

> And BIG wasn't the problem with the meters
> back then.  It was HEAVEN to be able to know what to do with your own BG
> bring your sugars into tighter control.

Different strokes for different folks. Dr. said when I was dx'd that a lot
of things would come along to help DMers in my lifetime but nothing would
ever help me. I went to his funeral. I guess I had no hope of anything but
grave complications and death. YMMV

Old age: When your pastor and the president are younger than you