Re: [IP] Re: Re: being a kid with diabetes

I've got the FINAL word on this subject. It's a 5.25"x5.25" card with a
color chart in the bottom inch. There are 6 color blocks, ranging from
dark blue (Negative 0%) through green and tan to bright orange (4+
2%). In the space above the color chart  are a title and 4 headings:
Color Chart and Report Form for Clinitest. Reagent Tablets
1 Collect urine in clean recepticle. With dropper in upright position,
place 5 drops urine in test tube. Rinse dropper and add 10 drops of
water in test tube.
2 Drop 1 tablet into test tube. Watch while complete reaction takes
place. (See Interpretation of Test.) Do not shake test tube during
reaction nor for 15 seconds after boiling inside test tube has stopped.
3 After the 15-second waiting period, shake test tube gently, compare
with color chart and record result on opposite side. [Back side of card
had REPORT TO PHYSICIAN to be filled in.]
And with a box around it:
IMPORTANT: Careful observance of the solution in the test tube while
reaction takes place and during the 15-second waiting period is
necessary to detect rapid "pass-through" color changes caused by
amounts of sugar over 2%. Should the color rapidly "pass-through"
green, tan and orange to a dark greenish-brown, record as over 2% sugar
without comparing final color development with the color chart.

This was probably before Ames came out with the 2-drop test.

This is one of the artifacts that was on display at my 60 Years of
Survival party on Jan. 11, 2003

 > Now this rings a bell; I didn't think 4 drops sounded right to me.
I'm sure I
 >had the same thing you had; 5 drops of urine and 10 of water. LOL -
Anyway that

email @ redacted

 > OK, I know I'm being obsessive-compulsive here <gr.> -- this is the
 > time I've seen something about 4 drops of urine for the clinitest, did
 > you all in Indiana get a different kind than we did on the east coast?
 > The standard test I used from 1955 on (including some time working in
 > medical laboratory in the 70s) was 5 drops of urine, 10 of water, for
 > measurements up to 2% (the orange 4+).  If the color passed through
 > orange/yellow and ended up green/brown, you were supposed
 > to retest

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000