[IP] Re: Re: being a kid with diabetes

On Monday, November 3, 2003, email @ redacted  wrote:

> The Clinitest set took 4 drops of urine and 6 drops of water. I
> believe SSP
> said she reversed it and always got *blue* results. That test tube was
> verrrrry hot when finished. We *voided* and went again a half hour
> later and
> that was what we tested. It still wasn't accurate due to individuals'
> renal
> thresholds.

OK, I know I'm being obsessive-compulsive here <gr.> -- this is the 2nd
time I've seen something about 4 drops of urine for the clinitest, did
you all in Indiana get a different kind than we did on the east coast?
The standard test I used from 1955 on (including some time working in a
medical laboratory in the 70s) was 5 drops of urine, 10 of water, for
measurements up to 2% (the orange 4+).  If the color passed through
orange/yellow and ended up green/brown, you were supposed to retest
with 2 drops urine and 10 drops water, to get a measurement up to 5%.
(And not many people actually looked for this pass-through, so a lot of
test results were inaccurate even in this very inaccurate system --
anything much over 2% was likely to turn green/brown and be read as 2+,
which I believe was 1%.)  I, myself, from childhood well into
adulthood, would essentially always have a 4+ or higher test result
before lunch, but a blood test taken at the same time might show as low
as the 90s -- but other times in the 300s -- the urine test result
remained the same <gr.>.  During my few hospitalizations for other
ailments, sometimes  the only way to stop the residents from ordering
extra insulin before lunch based on these urine tests was to feign
"insulin reaction", get the juice, and drink it instead of the "fruit
exchange" in my lunch (in the hospitals I was in in those days, saying
you were having an insulin reaction was treated as an emergency, and no
insulin injection would be given).  Once, when I was 15, I overheard
the doctor discussing with the students on rounds how his plan was to
just ignore that pre-lunch test, but, doctor-patient relationships
being what they were in those days, no one ever actually mentioned this
to me -- if he actually understood the problem, and could have
explained it to me at that time, I might have had confidence to try to
deal with other problems better. And at least I could have avoided some

When I had a kidney infection near the due date of my second child in
1972, the doctor was actually having the hospital wake him up in the
middle of the night every night for 2 weeks for the results of this
very inaccurate test.  I think he was placing a lot more faith in it
than it deserved.

Linda Z
dx1955 at age 8