[IP] Ulra Smart Meter Rebate Offer Warning

The current Rite Aid advertising supplement in the S. F. Bay Area (and I
 assume elsewhere) includes the following for an Ultra Smart meter "Sales Price:
 $69.99 - Less Manufacture's on Pack Rebate: $20.00 - Less Trade-in: $30.00,
Final Cost After Rebate and Trade-in: $19.99" -- which is a very good price.
Having waited for a sale to trade my old Fast Take backup meter for an Ultra
Smart to then use my Ultra as a backup (since they use the same strips), I
 bought one. However, the rebate information disclosed ONLY inside the sealed
says that the trade-in applies only to non-Life Scan and Life Scan Profile

I phoned Life Scan to complain about their misleading marketing and the
 information person confirmed that no Life Scan meter other than a Profile
(which I
had previously used as a trade-in for my Ultra) would be accepted, agreed with
me that it was misleading and didn't know why the limitations on the trade-in
are ONLY disclosed inside the sealed box.  Since what I thought was going to
be a $20 purchase became a $50 one, as a matter of principle, I am having them
take it back under their "satisfaction guarantee" return.