[IP] Re: being a kid with diabetes

>  In 1957 there was no home glucose testing. Testing meant catching some
> putting however many drops (I don't remember) of both urine and water into
> tube, then dropping in a Clinitest tablet, waiting for it to boil and
> colors, then comparing the color to a chart. I did not ever test during
> night and it was never a problem. They did not test me during the night in
> hospital either.

The Clinitest set took 4 drops of urine and 6 drops of water. I believe SSP
said she reversed it and always got *blue* results. That test tube was
verrrrry hot when finished. We *voided* and went again a half hour later and
that was what we tested. It still wasn't accurate due to individuals' renal
thresholds. I was in the hospital (entered 11/5/50) for 15 days and I have
old copies of lab BGs. They took ONE a day. We had no way of adjusting
insulin dosages - what would we base it on? The combo of NPH/Reg for me
upped 2 units each dr. visit and I thought I was getting worse. When it hit
30u of NPH and 15 Reg in one mixed syringe for years and years. My dosage
didn't change over time.

Like Roger, I thought the throwaway syringes were a big waste! I did buy a
box of 7 - packed that way for one shot a day for a week of vacation for the
convenience of travelers. That was in the mid '60s. The box was named
PlastiPac. I guess it was wasted $$ cuz there is only one missing. I still
have the pack. lol

It's a mistake to try to avoid the unpleasant things in life, but I'm
beginning to consider it. ~ Charlie Brown