[IP] Re: Meter to pump communications

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hal and/or Jo
  To: email @ redacted ; email @ redacted
  Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 11:59 PM
  Subject: Meter to pump communications

  > From: "Andrew Bender \(spot\)" <email @ redacted>
  > Subject: [IP] Animas wireless meter

  > 1.  Mini med is the only company with radio frequency communication with >
the glucometer...better than a direct connection ie with the Cosmos pump, > in
that the risk of the connection getting dirty and therefore less accurate is
  > reduced.  Also said that the combination of the pump and the glucometer
  > the Deltec pump made it alot thicker. Any experience?

  > Animas also communicates with an internal glucose meter that transmits
  > data toyour pump from an embedded glucose sensor. No Sticks, a minor
  > procedure is needed to bury the glucose meter and electrode in the body.
  > Animas's simple board circuitry left a lot of unused real estate to put
  > stuff on. spot

  Hi Spot,

  What is the source of information behind your statement that MiniMed's radio
frequency, meter to pump communications, link is better and potentially more
reliable than Deltec's direct connection?  With many years of electrical
engineering experience, I believe it to be the other way around.

  Your information on the future Animas pump/meter is quite interesting.  I
saw a similar system at a medical meeting in Germany about four years ago.  At
that time, the indwelling blood sugar sensor was working well for one month.
The sensor and transmitter combined were about the size of a sugar cube.
Given enough time, some company will likely market such a product with an even
longer sensor life.

  The big problem is keeping fibrosis from opcurring around the sensor. They
could resort to using rapamycin absorbed onto a si tered metallic material or
even tacrolimus treated sintered bronze. If done with a piezeoelectric crystal
the probe could clean itsel;f by drawing some current from the power source
and using rf to clean itself. most of these probes are platinum and woprk by
polorimetry. spot