[IP] Ketones - Should I be concerned about them?

I just saw my Endocrinologist on Thursday and asked him about testing
for ketones.  The reason I brought it up was because I was going to have
him prescribe the precision Xtra because my insurance company covers it
and since it tests for ketones, it would be helpful to me since I have
color vision deficiencies and cannot read the urine test strips.
He told me not to worry about ketones and didn't prescribe the meter.
Now, I'm reading Optimal Pumping and the book emphasizes the importance
of checking for ketones, says that "symptoms of DKA, especially nausea,
are often misdiagnosed as the flu and/or food poisoning", and points out
that DKA can be fatal if left untreated.
After reading this, I'm thinking that I should have the Xtra around in
case I have high BGs and need to check for ketones.  What do you all
Thanks for your help!
Antonio in Los Angeles
Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years
On MiniMed Paradigm 511, upgrading soon to the 512