[IP] Re: lows at night & being a kid with diabetes

>>robert chandler posted:
Hi Cindy, I am a mother to two sons and myself who are diabetic. I had never
heard of it( Diabetes) in our family before my first born child was
diagnosed, b y mself.   I was living on Abaco,Bahama.  My husband was in
Toledo Oh. on business  Mike was 8yrs. old and he took care of injections
from the very beginning. He eventually went off to college at Mi. State. I
remember seeing him go for his orientation and can still see the picture in
my mind , watching him go off. He is now in his fourties and I still worry
about him having lows at night. You never really get over that, especially
when they might have had even one problem in many yrs. I also have another
son with diabetes only a yr youger than Mike.and he has had some problems
with diabetes. I'm sorry if I'm being a whiner. I'm getting a lot of comfort
in knowing that other people can handle this . It helps me. I forgot, I have
been a diabetic since 1972 and I'm doing much better than I have ever done
with my BS. I all it all to constant new information. In the sixties , it
was like  living in the dark ages, it really was. Take care, LOL Naomi<<

Hi Naomi,

I'm sure you are right about never getting over the worrying about
nighttime lows.  It's just one of those facts of life we diabetic
parents have to live with.  Each year it does get easier.  Of course,
going from MDI to the pump and getting past puberty has helped a lot!

Did you moms that had teen diabetics 20-30 years ago know about "Dead
in Bed Syndrome?"  Or is that something that has just come to light
in recent years.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm glad to know about it.
But for me, it is the most frightening aspect of diabetes, especially
since teen boys are the highest risk group and Noah doesn't wake up
from his lows during the night.  I have a co-worker who has caught
her teen son several times in seizures from nighttime hypos.  Thank
God she had gotten up to test him and caught them.  I don't want to
think what could have happened if she hadn't.  She has another teen
son with diabetes who has never had a seizure even with nighttime
lows.  Go figure.  It really is a YMMV thing.

Cindy, mom to 17 y/o Noah