[IP] Re: lows at night & being a kid with diabetes

>>Tina Heubeck posted:
Hi Cindy,
I didn't even try to imply that Noah did not take care enough himself or
that he does not bother. Actually, I cannot judge that at all as he is
never writting in here (maybe I missed it). And that is in fact the
point. It is not him not caring enough but more the other way around.
Does he see his night lows as a problem? Does he ask you to take his bgs
at night and to wake him up? What are his ideas to handle this problem?
Maybe he should be in here and doing the discussion about HIS problem (if
he sees it that way)?
How much is the whole diabetes thing his problem (or whatever)? Just
to stress my point:
Don't get my wrong but it is very easy to get the impression that you are
in fact managing/controlling the whole diabetes business.
Personally I would get extremely mad if my mother was getting involved
that much. I would feel supervised and watched (like not being trusted).<<

You and I definitely have very different ideas on parenting.  Noah is
a very responsible 17 year old.  He is also living with a
life-threatening disease.  Testing him during the night doesn't
qualify as "supervising or not trusting him."  I see it as a
necessary task in keeping him alive and well.  Maybe you didn't know
this, but teen boys are the highest risk group in dying in their
sleep from nighttime lows.  Diabetes Interview published an article
on this a while back.  Rare occurrence, but does happen.  You stated
in an earlier e-mail that your nighttime lows woke you as a teen.
That's great.  But not all people are that lucky.  And I'm not
leaving something this important to chance.  You call it "supervising
and watching," I call it smart and loving parenting.