RE: [IP] Other pump experiences?

Hi Fran,

Out of all the pumps, MiniMed is my personal favorite.  Mostly because
of the size and the shape because it looks like and can be worn like a
pager.  I have the Paradigm 511 so it's the smallest pump on the market.
Personally, I don't like the curved shape of the Cozmo.

However, I have to say that what the sales rep said about the Cozmo's
testing unit versus the Paradigm is BS.  For one thing, direct contact
connections have been around since electronics started and have
traditionally been the most reliable (look at the phone system, for
example).
Radio frequency communication can be subject to all kinds of
interference.  Furthermore, I have had many problems with the BD meter
that MiniMed uses to provide the BG reading to the pump.  Out of 10
tests, I got 7 Error 3s.  From reading in this Mail List, I found out
that this can be caused not only by too little blood, but by too much.
How stupid is THAT?  Personally, I have ordered the upgrade to the 512,
but plan on using my One Touch UltraSmart and enter the BG value
manually.  This is also done by another member of this List.

As for the promises of upcoming technology, sales reps do not have
access to the information that would tell them when these things are
being released, nor are they supposed to discuss them.  I know because
it is like pulling teeth from a lion trying to get information out of
them about upcoming technologies like the implantable pump.  All of
these new technologies are subject to FDA approval and the only one who
can predict that would be God.  The implantable pump has been tested
well for years, and has been approved in Europe.  Last year I spoke with
Freddi Frederickson, who is a head of product development of MiniMed,
and she told me that there is no way of knowing when it will be
available in the U.S.  (If I recall correctly, part of the problem is
with approval of the Hoechst insulin that is used in the implantable.)
My personal hunch is that MiniMed is withholding submitting final data
on the implantable to FDA so that they can submit the continuous glucose
sensor at the same time, and be the first to market with a closed loop
system in the U.S.  So, although MiniMed could be the first ones to come
to market with this technology, I would not make any plans based on the
information this sales rep gave you.

I also like that the Paradigm platform can be upgraded with new software
releases as they become available.  I cannot imagine what these might
consist of, but it's nice to have the option.  Personally, I would like
to see the home screen display the time, and have specific icons for low
battery and low reservoir, like the 508 did.

Well I hope my input has been in some way helpful.  I don't mean to
'dog' MiniMed, I think they are a pretty good company to deal with.
FWIW, their customer service for pump issues has always been top notch
and they have always gotten a replacement pump to me quickly if there
was any reason that I needed it.  I know that some Disetronic fans think
it's a big deal to have 2 pumps, and I'm excessive in some ways such as
having a glucometer for home, gym bag, backpack and car.  However, I see
having 2 pumps almost like having 2 cars:  Nice but unnecessary.

Antonio in Los Angeles
Age 37, Type 1 Diabetes for 10 years
Currently on a Paradigm 511, getting the 512 on Tuesday