From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 1:25 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] lows at night & being a kid with diabetes

Hi all,

I don't post often, but I had to put in my two cents worth here.  I
 want to offend anyone, but maybe if you would wake up your child
(teenagers, I'm not talking about young children) so they could test
their own bg that would
help.  I was diagnosed at 14.  The only time my mom tested my bg was for
me to
show her how to use a new meter.  She did however, wake ME up some
nights when
she would peek in and be worried.  I remember one night about a week
getting out of the hospital (BG at diagnosis was 1,990...what a LONG
 stay!) I woke up with her peering at me with her face maybe an inch
from mine! She told me it scared her that I might just stop breathing
one night.  I know
it's hard for parents of diabetic children and that made me feel awful.
I know
she WANTED to do things for me.  Sure, she would have been happy to come
and check my BG for me so my sleep wouldn't be disturbed, but I think
 would have been doing me a disservice at that age and SHE recognized
that. My mom is an awesome lady. I learned that checking (and getting up
at 3am when my
alarm went off to check my sugar) was MY responsibility...and that
prepared me
to live independently.  As far as sleeping in....the days I don't
HAVE to get up early, I'll hit the snooze button for an hour or even
two.  The
days I know I have to be somewhere pronto...well, I haul my own butt out
of my
bed on the first alarm.  I think it's a comfort thing...maybe your kids
mom will take care of it, so why should they make the effort?  Again, I
want to ruffle any feathers, but doing too much for your kids may not be
 in the long run (even though it must be hard to stand back and watch